Hallblack Law Firm


The United Kingdom has introduced the FAMILY VISA which enables applicants to join and live with their spouse or partner, fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner, child, parent or relative who’ll provide long-term care for the applicant. This Visa is available to both applicants applying from outside the UK and those who are already in the UK on a different visa. In the second case, they can apply to switch their visa.

Before you apply to join a partner, that partner must be a British citizen, must have settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence, have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK and you and your partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK after you apply.

You can add children to your application as dependents if both of the following apply:

  • they are under 18 when you apply, or were under 18 when they were first granted leave
  • they do not live an independent life

If your visa is successful, you will get permission to stay for 2.5 years after this you’ll need to apply to extend your stay.


On application, you need to prove any of these:

  • you’re in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognized in the UK
  • you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply
  • you are a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving
  • have a good knowledge of English
  • can financially support yourself and your dependents 


You and your partner must have a combined income of at least £18,600 a year if:

  • you’re applying as a partner
  • you want to settle in the UK (get ‘indefinite leave to remain’) within 5 years

You must prove you have extra money if you have children who are not:

  • British citizens
  • EEA nationals
  • permanently settled

You’ll need to earn an extra:

  • £3,800 for your first child
  • £2,400 for each child you have after your first child


The cost of your application is dependent on whether you are applying from the UK or Outside the UK.

It will cost £1,523 if you apply from outside the UK or £1,033 if you apply from within the UK.

Each dependant added to your application will cost £1,523 each if you apply from outside the UK or £1,033 each if you apply from within the UK.

You may also be required to pay Health care surcharge.

Hallblack Law Firm- Immigration Practice


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please reload

Please Wait